Delicious Pecan Apple Cider Cake Donuts
Recipe by Vicky Cakes Pancake Partner
We’re turning pancake mix into cake donuts! These homemade baked pecan apple cider donuts are cakey, intensely flavored, and baked not fried. They’re easy to make, come together quickly and easily, and make the perfect snack for crisp fall mornings. Oh, and the flavorful glaze tops the cake–literally!
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Prepare the donut batter
- Mix the ingredients together. Mix 1 to 1-1/2 cups of Vicky Cakes Pecan Pancake & Waffle Mix, 1 egg, 3/4 cup of apple cider, 3/4 teaspoon of vanilla, a few dashes of cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon of hazelnut syrup, and a splash of water into a large box. Mix it together until it creates a thick consistency. Tip: if the batter is too thick, add a little water; if the batter is too thin, add more pancake mix.
- Spray the donut pan with olive oil spray or nonstick spray. Fill each donut halfway. Tip: don’t overfill the pan or they will turn into muffins.
- Add some caramel syrup to each donut and use a toothpick or fork to mix it in the batter.
- Bake the donuts on the top rack for 12-14 minutes. Be sure to watch them closely to avoid burning or overcooking. Use a toothpick or fork to ensure they are done. Note: a clean toothpick or fork means it’s ready!
- Let the donuts cool on a cooling rack.
Prepare the Icing
- Add about 1/2 cup of powdered sugar, a dash of apple cider, 1 teaspoon (or a squeeze) of caramel syrup in a small bowl, then mix it together.
- Dip one side of the donut into the icing and move around until the top is evenly coated. Set them aside to dry.
- Drizzle caramel syrup over the donuts and lightly dust with powdered sugar using a sifter.
Enjoy your donuts!